AMA Adopts Guidelines Confronting Systemic Racism in Medicine
Proposals Being Accepted for 2022 IAMSE Professional Development Workshops
New SMPH Faculty CV Template (all tracks)
Click here to view the new templates.
What you need to know:
- Tenure track faculty who are going up for promotion from assistant to associate professor before the Biological Science Committee must use this format immediately.
- Through the 2024 promotions cycle it is not required that CHS, CT track faculty use the new template unless they wish to do so. Starting May 1, 2024 all CV’s must be submitted to the promotion committees using this format.
- New faculty members are strongly encouraged to use this CV template immediately for recording of their academic, teaching, service and outreach activities at SMPH.
This template can also be found on the OFAD Preparing for Promotion page (scroll down to the Faculty Promotion Toolkit icon), or the Faculty HR Policies and Resources page. Instructions are included in the first page and the template follows.
Please contact the SMPH Faculty Promotion Team email@example.com with any questions about the template.
Applications now open: Joint Dual UW CIPE & Teaching Academy IPE Distinguished Fellowship
The UW Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education (UW CIPE) and the UW–Madison Teaching Academy are excited to announce the inaugural application of the Joint Dual UW CIPE and Teaching Academy IPE Distinguished Fellowship. Up to three honorary distinguished fellowships will be awarded to faculty members, academic staff, and professional students in recognition of their excellence in IPE teaching, practice, research, and/or leadership at UW–Madison and beyond.
The Joint Distinguished IPE Fellowship Award is for five years with a possibility for renewal as a life-long UW IPE Distinguished Fellow.
Prospective applicants should submit their online application by August 23, 2021.
Congratulations to Dean's Teaching Award Winner: Co-Chair Sue Wenker, PT, PhD, GCS
Teaching Academy Clinical Affiliate Program Co-Chair Sue Wenker received the SMPH Dean's Teaching Award at the 2021 Medical Education Day. Read more about Dr. Wenker's award and see other award recipients here.
OFAD Summer Webinars
Over the summer the Office for Faculty Affairs and Development (OFAD) will be hosting a series of webinars focused on aspects of the promotions process.
Click here to register.
Sessions will be about 30 minutes long and include time for questions. If you are unable to attend, sessions will be recorded and made available for viewing later.
Mentoring and Promotion Oversight Committee Guides (with a focus on advice for departments)
- Tuesday, June 29, 5:00pm
- Monday, August 2, 5:00pm
Guidelines for Chair's Letter for Promotion and Updates on the Offer Letter Process
- Monday, July 26, 5:00pm
- Wednesday, August 4, 5:00pm
If you have questoins, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Distance Teaching & Learning Conference (virtual)
The University of Wisconsin–Madison is proud to host the Distance Teaching & Learning (DT&L) Conference, an annual event that has been held in Madison since 1985. We are privileged to continue to offer our conference virtually in 2021.
From Vice Provost Zumbrunnen,
It is my pleasure to invite you to attend this year’s fully virtual DT&L Conference, August 2–5. We’d love to have you and your colleagues join us for this world-class event designed for online administrators, instructors and designers. In order to make the conference more accessible to our UW–Madison community, we are offering an exclusive registration price of only $99 for faculty and staff who register with their wisc.edu email address.
When you join us for this year’s DT&L conference, you’ll enjoy more than 75+ sessions on topics ranging across design, teaching and curriculum. Plus, you won’t want to miss our phenomenal keynotes:
- “How Can We Infuse Care, Equity and Agency throughout Education?”
Maha Bali, Associate Professor of Practice, Center for Learning and Teaching, American University in Cairo
- “The Manifesto for Teaching Online”
Siȃn Bayne, Director of Education, Edinburg Futures Institute and Jeremy Knox, Co-director for Research, University of Edinburgh
In addition to the numerous sessions and top-notch keynotes, the conference will offer multiple opportunities to network with peers, engage in thought-provoking discussions, and learn about the latest tools and products from vendors in the virtual exhibit hall.
Pathways to Promotion Workshops
Pathways to Promotion 102 for CHS/CT track faculty
Monday, October 18, 2021, 1:00-5:00pm (Virtual)
This interactive workshop is tailored to CHS and CT track faculty who expect to go up for promotion within the next year or two. Mentors are also welcome.
This course includes:
- Emphasis on what you need to do in the last year before you go up for promotion
- Logistics of putting your packet together
- Overview of the promotions committees function and process by current members
- Opportunity to sign up for a 15 minute one-on-one consultation on your personal statement and/or dossier
Pathways to Promotion 101 for CHS/CT track faculty
Monday, March 7, 2022, 1:00-5:00pm (Virtual; in-person option is TBD at this time)
This interactive course is tailored to CHS and CT track faculty who would like an introduction to promotion processes or have never attended a Pathways to Promotion seminar. We advise taking this course in your first two or three years at SMPH. Mentors are welcome to attend.
This course includes:
- Introductory information regarding the CHS and CT tracks
- Guidance on mapping your career trajectory
- Identifying a purpose and major goals for your career
- Guidance on how to jump start the process of organizing and collecting your accomplishments
Contact email@example.com for questions.
Pathways to Promotion for Tenure track faculty
SAVE THE DATE- Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 4:30-6:30pm
This workshop will offer an in-depth examination of the UW Madison promotion and tenure process from the perspective of central campus and SMPH. This course will cover:
- Building a tenure portfolio
- Learning to get the most from your mentors
- First-hand accounts from recently tenured faculty about preparing for tenure
- Guidance from divisional committee leadership about how the divisional committee operates and what the committee looks for in successful tenure cases.
Pathways to Promotion workshops may be attended multiple times. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Become an Academy Member
Why become an Academy member? Click here to discover benefits of membership.
For faculty with less than 3 years teaching experience in the UW System, learn more about the Clinical Affiliate program, here.
For faculty with more than 3 years teaching experience and are ready to become fellows, learn more about the Teaching Academy Fellowship program, here.
Explore the Developing Educators hub for more information regarding:
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Self-Directed Learning
- Mentoring, Coaching, and Advising
- Feedback & Evaluations
- Challenging Learners
- Online Learning Tool
Ebling Health Sciences Library has announced a new page dedicated to providing diversity, equity, and inclusion resources for the health sciences.
Explore the new resources here.
Click here to view upcoming events, up-to-date resources, and more!